Kids' Safety Day
The Internet can be a lot of fun, but it’s also really important to stay safe online! We at YTV have some great tips to help keep you safe and sound while surfing the web. Here are 10 tips!
1. Assume everything you post (photographs included) is public and permanent. In the wrong hands, private content can be used against you.
2. Protect your passwords, make them hard to guess, change them often and share with no one.
3. Question what you see online. People can easily lie about their age, gender, interests, personality – almost everything. Question EVERYTHING.
4. Talk to a parent or adult before meeting an online friend. Make sure someone knows who and where you are meeting!
5. Tell an adult if you encounter anything online that makes you feel uncomfortable.
6. Use webcams with caution, anyone can capture and save images.
7. Don’t say anything online you wouldn’t say in real life.
8. Make a habit of checking your privacy settings in social media apps regularly.
9. Keep yourself informed about policy changes and updates for your social media apps.
10. Visit NeedHelpNow.ca for advice to get help with online problems.
You can click the dragon below to complete a kids' safety activity book!
These tips are part of the OPP’s “Ontario Provincial Strategy”, which includes these initiatives: Cybertip.ca, Kids in The Know, and NeedHelpNow.ca. All of these focus on how important it is for kids to be aware and stay safe online. The Canadian Centre for Child Protection, a registered charity that is dedicated to the personal safety of all children, is also in collaboration with this initiative. The Internet has always posed a unique issue for child safety, and these organizations are dedicated to making sure that kids are informed and remain defensive about their online activity. So make sure you take note of all these tips and stay aware, and stay safe!